Meet the Future — The Babies!
She may not look capable of much now, but the beginnings of who she will become and what she may one day accomplish are already forming inside her. BeiAn’s bright future began when she was discovered in a washtub on the street in a small town in China.
The police brought BeiAn to the local orphanage. Then she was taken to Beijing, to our China Care Home to repair her damaged heart and malformed hands. And to give her back the love she lost so early on. The love that should be every child’s birth right.
Despite her bad-luck beginnings, we have every reason to believe that BeiAn will thrive. That her future will be brighter than anyone could have imagined on that sad day when her family walked away. Because from now on, BeiAn will only know loving care and encouragement.
Today she resides at our China Care Home in Beijing. When she’s big enough and strong enough, she will have corrective surgery for her heart. When she is healed, she will find a new life in an adoring family. She will grow up to do and become whatever she dreams of.
But there are many thousands of others who, without intervention, are unlikely to ever reach their potential. Thank you for helping OneSky transform the lives of babies like BeiAn. Think of it as an investment in a better world…for, just like your children and ours — they are the future.
The Facts About Babies
- At birth, a baby’s brain contains 100 billion neurons, as many nerve cells as there are stars in the Milky Way. 
- 60% of a baby’s energy goes into brain development. 
- The brain doubles in size in the first year, and by age three it has reached 80 percent of its adult volume. 
- Different stimuli and tasks – hearing a lullaby, reaching for a toy, seeing mama smile – help establish different neural networks. 
- Without stimulation – no touch, no smiles, no laughter – idle brain circuits die and connections are severed. It’s called synaptic pruning. 
The OneSky Approach